Sunday, June 13, 2010

off to the canyons!

Well we've finished our first week of training and tomorrow starts the next part: The Mock Trip.  We're packing all of us into three vans with a couple of trailers and hitting the Canyons.  Apparently "the Canyons" is the oft-used term to describe Bryce, Zion, and the Grand Canyons.  I say apparently because everyone here except me is super down with the camping/canyon lingo.  They throw out words like hoodoo, and the Narrows, and limestone, and all this other craziness and I'm just like "huh? whaa?"  I'm the only person in the group who has never been camping.  When I admitted this there was a collective gasp of horror.  It was like I had said I kill puppies for fun.  So I'm definitely going in to this experience with absolutely no clue of what to expect.

If there is one thing we've learned this week, its that nothing during training is just fun and games, so I expect that there will be a whole lot of hard work while we're out there.  This past week has been rough with an insane amount of ups and downs.  I'm surprisingly better at the driving the van and trailer thing than I thought I would be.  I actually backed up the trailer off to the right into a narrow parking spot on the first try!  It was so cool.  so so so cool.

Anyway this is a pretty boring post but next week will amazing and I can't wait to experience the Canyons... and camping! Finally!

1 comment:

  1. Ahhh - the canyons! Love Zion - have such a good time Dana! And just think, when you're done with this week, you'll be prepared to take our kids on a camping trip! :) Or join the cast of Survivor and win the fire making challenge! I love you!

    ReplyDelete